How do you decide which essential oil companies are a good choice for you and your family? Is there a way to know which essential oil companies are a good choice for you and your family?
David Stewart, Ph.D. wrote a book called, Healing Oils of the Bible and in his book he has “Twelve Questions to ask an Essential Oil Company”. What he suggests is that you make a chart, call each one of those companies, ask them each the same questions and then compare and make a decision from there.
Here are those 12 questions:
- Does your company own any farms on which to raise herbs for oils? And if you do, are they new farms on land formerly polluted with herbicides, pesticides and chemicals that contain residuals from the past, or are they farming land that is clean, which has never been cultivated or has been untilled for at least the last 50 years?
- Does your company have their own fully equipped testing laboratory to verify an oil’s composition?
- Do you have anyone on staff with a trained nose who can analyze oils by their smell? (There are less than 200 people in the world with noses sufficiently trained to discern the chemistry of a fragrance.)
- If your company purchases oils from outside suppliers, do they visit the distilleries and farms of those suppliers periodically to observe if the herbs are grown organically (i.e. without pesticides, herbicides or chemical fertilizers)?
- Do you know if the grower has a testing laboratory on the farm to determine when the crop is at its peak for oil harvesting?
- Do you know if the crops were actually harvested at their peak time and, if so, was there an inordinate delay in taking them to the still and into the cookers?
- Do you know if your distillery personnel understand the art and science of distilling, exactly how to pack the cookers, how to administer the steam, how to maintain minimum temperatures and pressures throughout the cooker, and how to continuously monitor the process throughout distillation to make sure the oil produced contains all of its components in the proper proportions?
- If your supplier makes a mistake in the distillation or harvesting processes that results in an inferior grade of oil, does that supplier sell the oil anyway or do they discard it?
- Do you know if the cookers in the distilleries of your suppliers have domed lids or cone shaped lids? Most still use dome-shaped lids. Cone topped cookers deliver a better grade of oil than dome tops.
- Do you know if your suppliers supplement the distillation process with solvents to extract additional oil from the plant matter?
- Do you know if your suppliers bottle their oils directly from the distillery without modifying the composition of the natural oil by adding anything or taking anything away?
- Do you know if your company has tested the company’s oils side by side with Young Living oils in the same lab to make a fair comparison? And if so, where can I find the data on the results?
Of course you can come up with more questions of your own if you would like, there is nothing saying you need to only ask these or any questions. If you do call and talk to any company other than Young Living and most of the answers to the questions are, “No” or “I don’t know” or even refusing to answer how can they make claims that they are “Pure Therapeutic Grade” essential oils. If you were to call Young Living you would get Yes to all of these questions.
This isn’t a post to put down any essential oil company. As someone who is looking into essential oils, you know what you want for yourself and for your family. Maybe some of these questions you really do not care about and that is fine because you are choosing what it important for you. You already know what standards you are looking for in an essential oil. I just want to make sure you have the tools at hand to make the best decisions for you and your family.
There were reasons we were personally seeking out an alternative solution for our family. There were reasons we wanted something to be a daily wellness support for our bodies. There were reasons we were looking for something new and for our family it wasn’t because we wanted to be putting more chemicals into our bodies. That is why we made the choice we did and went with Young Living. That is why each day we are spOILing our family with one drop at a time!
(Part 2 is going to be two charts from a woman in my group who did make the call to a lot of companies and the answers she was given).
If you are ready to join the YLEO spOILed Family?
Would you like to talk to Jack or Amy?
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.